Excellent update on the Phase II trial being done by Osiris, using adult stem cells. Prochymal, for treatment of patients with acute myocardial infarction (heart attack)is ‘designed to provide therapeutic benefit by controlling inflammation, promoting tissue regeneration, and preventing scar formation.’
Important findings from their report state:
* The trial met its primary endpoint demonstrating safety of Prochymal in the acute MI setting. * Patients receiving Prochymal had fewer adverse events compared to placebo. * A lower percentage of patients treated with Prochymal required repeat hospitalization. * Patients receiving Prochymal had reduced incidence of cardiac arrhythmia. * Patients receiving Prochymal had a significant and durable improvement in cardiac function.
“This study adds convincing long-term data to the excellent safety profile of Prochymal, having now treated hundreds of patients in trials over the past decade,” said C. Randal Mills, Ph.D., President and CEO of Osiris Therapeutics. “We are excited that Prochymal demonstrated strong evidence of efficacy beyond the best cardiac care available today. We are now advancing this program into a larger Phase II trial, focusing on patients with more severe heart damage.”
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous