Apparently not at UC Irvine! Administrators finally closed the doors of their troubled transplant center hours after the government revoked their certification as a transplant center. Their troubles have been known to UCI administrators for years but they continued to add patients to their waiting list and turn away transplantable organs. At the heart of the problem appears to have been trouble actually having a transplant center–missing most importantly, transplant surgeons!
Trust in the organ donation/tranpslantation system is paramount to public endorsement. We already know we don’t have enough organs to go around. We already know people die every day waiting for an organ donation for transplant. Badly run programs do little to secure public trust for those willing to give the gift of life!
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents