While states like California and Massachusetts roll full steam ahead with their human cloning and embryo stem cell research, states like Michigan pass great laws like this!
17 May 2005
The Michigan Senate on Thursday approved 37-0 two bills that would create a Life Sciences Investment Authority, which would sell bonds to invest in biotech businesses in the state but could not spend public funds on embryonic stem cell research or human cloning, the… AP/Detroit Free Press reports. The legislation would require the Biosciences Research and Commercialization Center at Western Michigan University to oversee the Michigan Life Sciences Pipeline and help scientists and businesses bring research to market. The state could invest in start-up businesses or form public-private partnerships and would receive part of the profits from successful companies to pay off the bonds and replenish the fund (AP/Detroit Free Press, 5/12).
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous