As we at the Human Future wait for the other shoe to drop, many in the U.S. and the world are anticipating the changes that Obama has promised to make.
This BBC piece quotes Obama as saying, “I will lift the current administration’s ban on federal funding of research on embryonic stem cell lines created after 9 August 2001.”
I am anticipating that under the Obama administration we will see a federal law passed which will allow “therapeutic” cloning to be funded.
Also, the Democratic controlled house and senate will help in the successful passage of legislation to expand federal funding of research using embryos and cloning technologies.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous