Here’s a good post by one of our CBC Director’s, Bernard Moon. It’s always good to review especially given that President-elect Obama and Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi have stated that a top priority will be to increase federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.
With the recent coverage of President-elect Obama’s intent on reversing President Bush’s executive order that limited the majority of embryonic stem cell research from receiving federal tax dollars, I thought it was a good time to review the political history, discuss the terminology and basic information regarding stem cells.
In terms of a bit of history, President Clinton was the first president who could have permitted federal funding on embryonic stem cell research, but he did not. President Bush was the first to allow federal funds to be used on a limited amount of embryos for embryonic stem cell research,embryos which had already been destroyed and stem cell lines created from those embryos.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous