I am going to try very hard to blog every bit of news about adult stem cells being used to treat patients. It will be a big task because information and reports about adult stem cells helping REAL patients today is to be found at every corner turned. The media, the scientific community and the politicians still can’t seem to get the facts down. . . even patients hoping for cures and treatments seem to parrot bad misinformation all the time. For example, with the President’s veto of H.R. 810 just last week, the criticism continues to be “we must do embryonic stem cell research–that is where our hope and promises for cures will be found.” So just in my inbox this morning is this report about a British physician who has used adult stem cells to treat patients with broken bones that had refused to heal and mend. These patients ‘had run out of options’ and were facing permanent deformity, loss of use of their limbs or worse–amputation. But with the adult stem cell treatments, 3 patients have had adult stem cell transplants with their own stem cells from their bone marrow, which means–no rejection issues. And 5 out of 10 patients treated are ‘making progress’.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents