Professor Colin McGuckin, a leader in cord blood research for 20 years, will be one of our keynote speakers at our Banking on Life: Cord Blood Stem Cells – the Future of Regenerative Medicine Conference held May 2, 2009, in San Francisco.
Recently, Professor McGuckin left his position at Newcastle University in the United Kingdom, known for embryonic stem cell research, and moved to France to head up the Cell Therapy Research Institute in Lyon where the environment would be more favorable toward his research and he’d be able to focus more on treating and curing people. He’s known for growing the first artificial mini-livers from stem cells found in cord blood, demonstrating the regenerative aspect of cord blood research and the future of regenerative medicine.
In the early days of research, cord blood was used to treat mainly leukemia. Today, cord blood is used in treating some 85 different diseases and is curing patients with sickle cell anemia and thalassemia.
McGuckin believes government should not only encourage the collection and banking of cord blood but also put this rich resource to work helping patients. In an interview done on his recent trip to India, while visiting hospitals there, he stated, “My institute in Lyon and Cryo-Save India are talking to Apollo Hospitals and others for a joint training as well as research program. I don’t want to wake up after retirement and think all that I did just remained in the lab.”
Join us May 2, 2009 at this important conference to:
- Learn from the leaders and experts in the field of cord blood research
- Network with others involved in cord blood banking
- Earn continuing medical credit for doctors and nurses
- Meet patient advocates working for those who will benefit from cord blood research and therapies
We must promote banking of cord blood, encourage funding of research using cord blood stem cells and raise awareness of the many diseases where cord blood is helping patients today! So please, join us on May 2, 2009, for Banking on Life: Cord Blood Stem Cells – the Future of Regenerative Medicine. Register now. Space is limited.
Cord Blood Research Advances and Treatments in the News
- Stem Cell Research – Cord Blood Stem Cells Give Spinal Cord Injury Patient Feeling In His Body Again
- Cord of Life: Cord-Blood Transplant Helps 68-Year-Old Leukemia Patient
- Thermogenesis Technology Products Surpass Processing of More Than One Million Units of Cord Blood Stem Cells at 10-Year Milestone
- Stem Cells Give Brit Tot Sight
- Sperm DonationMarch 15, 2022Venus Rising with Edward Saulig: Reflections of a Sperm Donor
- BioethicsMarch 13, 2022Dr. C. Ben Mitchell: 2022 Ramsey Award Winner
- #BigFertilityMarch 10, 2022Documentary Explores One Woman’s Journey through Egg Donation
- BioethicsMarch 9, 2022Questioning the “Science” of the Gender Industry