Rep. Phyllis Kahn of the great state of Minnesota wants them to get into the cloning business. Stating, “We will not be able to maximize the potential of adult stem cell science without the full utilization of embryonic stem cell science”, Kahn has bought into the rhetoric that the new breakthrough. a la, Yamanaka, won’t stop the human cloning agenda, because we need human cloning research!?
Let’s throw our full support behind Governor Tim Pawlenty for restating the obvious. He realizes that with adult stem cell research treating patients and breakthrough advances with skin cells being able to be reprogrammed to an embryonic-like state there is, “ample opportunity to work toward lifesaving cures without crossing moral and ethical boundaries.”
To his reasoned position, fear mongering continues with statements that Minnesota will not be able to attract leading scientists for their scientific institutions and their bill obfuscates the truth by banning reproductive cloning only but permits the cloning of human embryos for destructive research.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents