I woke today to this headline in my inbox. Can’t say that I am sad about this news. But of course the tagline: A lack of human eggs has created a major roadblock in one of the most promising areas of stem-cell research is good news /bad news.
Good news. The heat is on and the U.S. egg market is drying up for now.
Bad news. Look for shifts take place so that girls willing to sell their eggs for cloning research can get paid like girls who sell their eggs so that wealthy couples can have babies.
Good news. Even little non-profits can make a difference.
Bad news. Companies like GlobalART, are in pole position to supply human eggs to cloning researchers.
GlobalART’s website states this: “GlobalARTusa provides IVF physicians and their patients with high quality donor eggs at exceptional prices through a unique online egg donation database.”
And what’s the really bad stinky news? GlobalART USA is where? It’s in Eastern Europe.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents