All this controversy surrounding James Watson’s latest comments has dredged up the dirty little secret about our past eugenics movement. The news is buzzing with titles like “Never Again: The history of American eugenics explored online”
If you have never visited the Eugenics Archive website from Cold Spring Harbor, I highly recommend spending some time there. The photos and the documents preserved here are rich with the story of our past eugenic history which wanted to be sure that those with a goodly heritage reproduced and that the feeble minded and unfit did not. Here is a meddle given to those deemed worthy of passing on their genes.
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous