It allows doctors like Michael Kamrava, of Octumom fame to be touted as “distinguished” and to be only given a slap on the hand for his recklessness in transferring six embryos (two twinned resulting in eight live births) into Nadya Suleman. Kamrava was “expelled from the professional body” of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine for ignoring their meaningless guidelines on the number of embryos to implant.
It reminds us that IVF technology fueled right into the embryonic stem cell debates and human cloning and opened the door to exploiting women for their eggs. Think Dr. Hwang in South Korea who abused women for eggs for his fraudulent stem cell research. Hwang was just convicted for fabrication of his research studies, but will not face jail time, only probation.
It holds “reproductive choice” up so that stories like this are more and more common place:
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents