Monday, as was expected, the
Prime Minister Gordon Brown said, “these embryos would bring to an end ‘the critical limiting factor in stem cell research: the lack of human eggs from which to create embryos and collect stem cells’. They would also bring new cures and treatments to millions of people.”
The bill also backs the creation of “savior siblings”. This means, if you have a sick child who needs a genetic match, you can make embryos in the lab through IVF technology, test them to identify the match, and then implant that embryo in order to save your sick child. Of course, this also means, generally the other embryos are either discarded or donated for research. Perhaps some of you have read Jodi Picoult’s book, My Sister’s Keeper? Chilling what happens when we treat people as means to an end.
And no new law would be complete without either a
May cool heads prevail as it looks as if we will stop at nothing?
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- ArticleSeptember 25, 2023The Little Engine That Could
- SurrogacySeptember 12, 2023Surrogacy Scandals Continue
- SurrogacyJune 27, 2023When Surrogacy Goes Badly, There Are Never Any Winners
- Gender IdentityMay 30, 2023Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents