Every year, I ask our special consultant, Wesley J. Smith to predict the human future as it relates to biotechnologies. Here is his piece, grading how closely he hit the mark for his 2007 predictions. He hit 5 out of 8. Not bad, all things considered.
Here’s how he rated himself:
Here were my 8 predictions.
1. The Bush policy on federal funding of ESCR would be overturned: WRONG
2. More states will fund ESCR and human cloning research: RIGHT
3. Impasse at federal level to outlaw or legalizing human cloning would continue: RIGHT
4. More states and countries will outlaw the selling of human eggs: RIGHT
5. No new states or countries will legalize Physician Assisted Suicide: RIGHT
6. Texas law permitting futile care impositions will not be rescinded : RIGHT
7. Existing 10 days allowed to patients and families to find a new hospital will be extended as a compromise, probably to around 30 days: WRONG
8. The Supreme Court of the United States will overturn the partial birth abortion federal ban : WRONG
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous