I am in receipt of a new book put out by Georgetown University Press. The author is bioethicist, Dr. Mark J. Cherry. The Title: “Kidney for sale by owner: Human Organs, Transplantation and the Market”.I have yet to read this book (it just arrived yesterday) but I will be curious to see how he supports his position that an organ market not only is legitimate but indeed humane. Certainly we all know there is a huge critical shortage of organs available for transplantation. People die each day waiting on a donor list. And we need to find creative and ethical ways to deal with this shortage. I have always asserted that a market based solution will be at first glance, an attractive solution, but putting it into practice quickly demonstrates the problems with monetary incentives to ‘donate’ or give the gift of life. Is altruism dead in the 21st century?
- Jennifer Lahl, MA, BSN, RN, is founder and president of The Center for Bioethics and Culture Network. Lahl couples her 25 years of experience as a pediatric critical care nurse, a hospital administrator, and a senior-level nursing manager with a deep passion to speak for those who have no voice. Lahl’s writings have appeared in various publications including Cambridge University Press, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Dallas Morning News, and the American Journal of Bioethics. As a field expert, she is routinely interviewed on radio and television including ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR. She is also called upon to speak alongside lawmakers and members of the scientific community, even being invited to speak to members of the European Parliament in Brussels to address issues of egg trafficking; she has three times addressed the United Nations during the Commission on the Status of Women on egg and womb trafficking.
- Gender Identity2023.05.30Fertility Preservation in “Transgender” Children and Adolescents
- Assisted Reproductive Technology2023.05.16My Remarks At Harvard Regarding Third-Party Conception
- Surrogacy2023.05.09Even War in Ukraine Won’t Stop Big Fertility
- Surrogacy2023.04.11The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous